EcoCloud’s mission is to provide a suitable research and cooperation framework for EPFL faculty and their affiliated students, as well as Industrial Affiliates to collaborate on joint R&D projects targetting the sustainable development of society thanks to IT infrastructure.
In this previous context, EcoCloud aims to develop and maintain an EPFL-wide cloud computing experimental facility to conduct multi-laboratory research on topics ranging from server and rack hardware technologies (computing, storage and cooling) to innovative software design (ICT stack, VM schedulers, energy-efficient machine learning mapping, etc.).
To manage this experimental facility and the developed multi-laboratory research projects, EcoCloud Center is looking to recruit a:
Senior Sustainable Computing Infrastructure Specialist
Main duties and responsibilities :
- Administration of different types of servers for research and prototyping tasks, as well as experimental facility management
- System administration / integration in the scope of research and teaching projects
- Architect suitable monitoring infrastructures for the configured experimental setup.
- IT support to the research groups affiliated with EcoCloud using the experimental facility.
- Purchasing of all IT material including: Servers, monitoring instrumentation infrastructure, cables, and consumables for the Experimental Facility
- Configuration of 20-25 custom server racks (equipped with configurable cooling loops outside of the mission-critical scope of the data center, top-of-rack switches, inter-rack networking, and space for additional measurement equipment)
- Setup of a number of experimental servers for power and thermal monitoring.
- Installation and maintenance of equipment (thermal modeling setup in POWERLab/ESL, including an accurate thermal camera equipment), to the new experimental facility.
- Develop custom monitoring infrastructures with sensors and hardware built-in of servers and racks for energy, power consumption, temperature, humidity, and vibrations monitoring.
- Monitoring hardware boxes, regarding actual hardware fabrication for computing, develop a new multi-FPGA setup infrastructure.
- Make the experimental infrastructure accessible for well-trained IT personnel to reprogram and monitor this hardware acceleration system, including 10 additional desks for experimental equipment and control the work done in this requested space.
Your profile :
- PhD in Computer Engineering or Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
- Experience in coordinating the development of research experiments and protocols.
- Experience in implementation of software infrastructure for the storage of information.
- Experience in designing and implementing the infrastructure to store and retrieve the results of the experiments (particularly using remote means).
- Solid project and IT management skills
- Knowledge of C, C++, Linux scripting, server administration tools, VMWare, XEN, OpenMP, FPGA EDA tools (Xilinx), Cloud Computing Systems (AWS, Oracle Cloud, Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud).
- Fluent in English (written and spoken)
- Experience in working with industrial partners
- Knowledge of EPFL infrastructure is a plus
- Strong interpersonal skills, service-mindedness
- Ability to mentor other resources
- Creative, self-driven and autonomous
We offer :
- A stimulating, dynamic, inter-disciplinary, and multicultural environment with vari-ous academic challenges
- An opportunity to evolve in a framework promoting advanced technology
- Possibilities for further education
to be agreed upon
Only candidates who applied through EPFL website or our partner Jobup’s website will be considered. Files sent by agencies without a mandate will not be taken into account.